- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- New Jersey Devils
- Anaheim Ducks
- Arizona Coyotes
- Calgary Flames
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Dallas Stars
- Edmonton Oilers
- Information We Collect and Receive
We collect and receive the following types of information:
- Information You Provide Directly. We receive the information you choose to provide when using our Services.
- For example, when you register for our Services, bid on or purchase products on our Services, sign up for NHL.TV (formerly known as NHL GameCenter LIVE and also referred to as Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE, (collectively, “NHL.TV”), sign up to receive electronic or other marketing communications, enter a contest or sweepstakes, comment on an article, communicate with customer service, or complete a questionnaire you may be asked to provide information about yourself including:
- Your first and last name, username, company name, mailing address, phone number, date of birth, email address, mobile phone number, payment information, favorite Member Club and Member Club players, a photograph, and/or information about your use of our Services. Some of our Business Partners may choose not to collect all of this information.
- If you use a “share with a friend” or “invite a friend” feature on our Services, we may collect your name and email address, as well as the name and email address of the recipient. We do not use the names or email addresses submitted in these circumstances for any purpose other than sending an email on your behalf, unless we obtain your consent or the recipient's consent. With respect to Shop.NHL.ca we will send a single email identifying you as the source of the referral.
- Information We Collect or Receive When You Use Our Services. We also may collect or receive information when you use our Services. We collect some of this information using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. This information that we collect automatically may be combined with information that you provide us directly in order to personalize content and advertising based on your interests. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may receive:
- Log information. This is information we automatically collect and store when you use our Services. It may include, for example:
- Information about your interactions with our Services, including the content you view, the products you bid on or purchase, the amount of time spent on our Services, the date on which you accessed our Services, and information in cookies and similar technologies.
- Information about how you access our Services, including your browser or operating system, your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, and the websites you visit before and after visiting our Services.
- Device information. This is information we collect and store concerning the device you use when you access our Services. (Note that by “device,” we mean anything you use to access our Services). Device information may include, for example:
- The type of device you are using (e.g., your particular brand of phone or tablet);
- Certain device identifiers which may be unique to your device;
- Your Internet service provider; and
- Depending on your permissions, content you have stored on your device (e.g. contacts stored on your phone).
- Location information. This information may include specific location information drawn from your device's GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi signals, including information about nearby WiFi networks, location beacons, and cell towers. We receive this information when you use location-enabled services that we offer, and also when you use certain location-based informational, marketing, or public service applications that we or other parties offer.
We use the information we collect and receive for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services. We use the information we collect or receive to provide you with the Services you use or request. For example, we use this information to:
- Create accounts;
- Process transactions;
- Provide technical support and respond to user inquiries;
- Send you electronic and other marketing communications that may be tailored to your preferences and interests, in compliance with applicable anti-spam laws;
- Administer your participation in our contests, sweepstakes, fantasy or interactive games, or other promotions;
- Notify you about updates to our Services or send other communications that are relevant to your use of our Services; and
- Enhance our ability to detect and prevent fraud and potentially illegal activities in connection with our Services and otherwise enforce our Terms of Service.
- To improve our operations and Services. We also use the information we collect or receive to provide content you may find relevant and interesting and to maintain and upgrade our operations and our Services. For example, we may use this information to:
- Solicit input and feedback about our Services;
- Identify and address technical issues on our Services; and
- Customize your experiences based on location information or your online activities, including the content you view, the products you bid on or purchase, other Services of ours you use, and other information we collect or receive.
- To provide effective advertising and marketing. We also use the information we collect and receive to provide ads for our Services and certain third-party services and to send you promotional communications. For example, we may use this information:
- To show you ads (on and off our Services, including on third-party social media services) based on location information or your online activities, including the content you view, the products you bid on or purchase, the other Services of ours that you use, and other information we collect or receive.
- To send you electronic and other marketing messages about the NHL, Member Clubs, or other third-party business partners that may be tailored to your preferences and interests -- for example, content related to your favorite Member Club. (Please see below the Your Choices section in connection with promotional messages).
We also may use the information we collect and receive for other purposes that may be described to you at the point of collection or for which you provide your consent.
We may share information we collect or receive with third parties when we have your consent or as described below.
We may share information with the following types of third parties:
- Our affiliates. We may share information with “affiliates,” a term that includes our parent and subsidiary companies, joint venture partners, or other companies we control, are controlled by, or with which we are under common control. Such affiliates may include those listed here.
- Our service providers. We may provide information about you to service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf (for example, hosting our Services, storing our data, fulfilling orders, providing products and services, managing databases, performing analyses, administering our contests and sweepstakes, collecting location data, providing location-based services, processing credit card payments, providing customer service, or sending communications for us). These companies are contractually limited in the ways in which they may use this information.
- Operational partners. We partner with third parties to operate certain of our Services. From time to time, in accordance with applicable laws, we may provide information about you to these operational partners to use for their own purposes. For example, we partner with MLB Advanced Media, L.P. (“MLBAM”) to operate certain Services, and we therefore may share information about you with MLBAM, its successors and permitted assigns, and their affiliates in connection with the operation of our Services and where it is otherwise permitted by applicable law.
While these operational partners may use information about you to operate the Services, you should presume that these operational partners, and their subsidiaries and affiliates, may use your information for their own purposes in accordance with their respective privacy policies. You can view a list of some of our key operational partners here.
- Business partners. With your consent, we may share information about you with other select business partners that are not service providers, such as our sponsors, other retailers, and broadcast partners, so that they can provide you with special offers, promotional materials, and other materials that may be of interest to you.
These other business partners are expected to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and security of any information we share with them. However, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of our business partners, which may use your information for their own purposes. You can view a list of some of our key business partners here.
- Member Clubs. We may share information about you with our Member Clubs (including your contact information, demographic information, and information about your interactions with the NHL), and our Member Clubs may use this information for purposes including: providing you with special offers, promotional materials, and other information that may be relevant to you, improving their products and services, and performing internal analysis. Where required by applicable law, we will seek your consent before sharing your information with the Member Clubs for promotional purposes. Please note that Member Clubs' websites and services are not controlled by the NHL and are subject to their own individual privacy policies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of Member Clubs. You can view a list of our Member Clubs here.
- Other parties in response to legal process or when necessary to protect us or our Services. We or our service providers may disclose your information – including the contents of your communications – to other parties when required or permitted by applicable law, such as when we have a good faith belief that:
- Doing so is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal process (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena);
- The information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed;
- An emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person or persons; or
- Doing so is necessary to protect our rights or property or to enforce our Terms of Service.
- Interactive features. We may share information with third parties when you post information to a public user profile or a public area of our Services, such as a chat room, forum, blog, or other community tool. If you post information to these interactive features, it will be publicly available and you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties. We cannot ensure that parties who have access to such information will respect your privacy. Please exercise caution when using these features.
We also may share other information with third parties in a manner that does not identify particular users, including, for example, aggregated information.
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. Such third parties include, for example:
- Content providers, which may operate contests, sweepstakes, fantasy or interactive games, or public forums on our Services;
- Retail and other companies (such as those that operate our Shop and Auctions Services and those that operate other Services), which may process transactions, provide customer service, and perform other related functions;
- Advertising providers, which help us and our advertisers provide ads (on our Services or elsewhere online) that are tailored to users' interests and understand users' response to those ads;
- Audience-measurement companies , which help us measure the overall usage of our Services and compare that usage to other online services; and
- Social networking services (such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+), which enable you to log in to certain of our Services, to comment on content available on our Services, and to share things you find on our Services with your social network.
- Mobile location analytics providers, which use location-specific data to facilitate the transmission of informational, marketing, and public service communications to you.
Note that some of these companies participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive targeted ads. To learn more and to opt-out of such targeted advertising, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative, Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites and online services should do when they receive these signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard for responding is established, we may revisit our policy on responding to these signals.
You have a number of choices about how we handle information we collect or receive about you.
- Email. You may opt out of receiving future promotional email communications from us by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link in the footer of promotional email communications and updating your preferences. Please note that we may continue to send you transactional or service-related emails regarding your account, as authorized under applicable anti-spam laws.
- SMS and MMS. You may opt out of receiving promotional or other SMS and MMS messages (i.e., text messages) from us by replying “STOP” to any message, which is free of charge. Please note that we may respond to your opt-out request with a free message confirming that you have successfully opted out.
- Direct Mail. You may opt out of receiving direct mail communications from us (for example, Shop catalogs) by completing our direct mail unsubscribe form here.
- Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information to Third Parties. You can opt out of having your personally identifiable information shared with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes by filling out the following form: NHL.com/contact. Please select the “Privacy” option in the subject line and include your first name, last name, and email address in the body of the email. You may also contact us as set out in the Contact Us section below.
- Access, Update, or Correct Information. In accordance with applicable law, you may have the right to access, update, or correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. If you would like to access, review, or update your information, please contact us at NHL.com/contact. Please select the “Privacy” option in the subject line and include your first name, last name, and email address in the body of the email. You may also contact us as set out in the Contact Us section below.
- Tailored Advertising. Some of the companies that provide advertising services on our Services may participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive tailored ads that are based on your online activities. To learn more and to opt-out of such targeted advertising from participating companies, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada. Opting out of tailored advertising does not mean that you will no longer see any advertisements; rather, you will still see advertisements that are general and not tailored to your specific interests and activities.
We have adopted physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to help protect against theft, loss, misuse, and unauthorized access to or disclosure of the information we collect and receive. However, please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to our Services and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information, or any other disclosures out of our control.
Your online access to some of your information may be protected with a password that you select. We strongly recommend that you do not disclose your password to anyone. We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication (such as letters, phone calls, or email messages).
Our Services do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent, except as permitted by the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) or as otherwise permitted under privacy laws applicable in your jurisdiction.
California residents may opt out of having their personally identifiable information shared with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes by filling out the following form: NHL.com/contact. Please select the “Privacy” option in the subject line and include your first name, last name, and email address in the body of the email. You may also contact us as set out in the Contact Us section below.
In addition, California residents who are registered users of the Services and are under the age of 18 are entitled, in accordance with California law, to request and obtain removal of content and information that they themselves post as user content on the Services. You may request such removal by filling out the following form: NHL.com/contact. Please select the “Privacy” option in the subject line and include in the body of the email (i) a statement that you are requesting, in accordance with California law, the removal of user content; (ii) a description of the material you want removed and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material; and (iii) your first name, last name, email address, mailing address (including city, state, and zip) and year of birth so that we can process your request. Please note that your request does not ensure the complete or comprehensive removal of the material.
The NHL's headquarters is in the United States, and, regardless of where you use our Services or otherwise provide information to us, your information may be transferred to, maintained, and processed by the NHL, its affiliates, and our operational partners and service providers in the United States. Please note that U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence and such information may be subject to lawful access by U.S. courts, law enforcement, and governmental authorities. By using our Services or by providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to, in, and out of the United States.
Senior Counsel -- Privacy
NHL Enterprises, L.P.
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Our Services use online technologies called “cookies” and “web beacons,” as well as other local storage technologies. This section explains what these technologies are and how they may be used.
- Cookies and Other Local Storage Technologies
Generally speaking, “cookies” are text files that are placed in your device's browser, and that can be used to help recognize your browser across different web pages, websites, and browsing sessions. Your browser or device may offer settings related to cookies. For example, you may be able to configure your browser not to accept cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being sent. For more information about whether these settings are available, what they do, and how they work, visit your browser or device's help material. If you decide not to accept cookies from us, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the features of the Services.
Cookies are stored on your device or in “local storage.” We also use other types of local storage technologies, such as Local Shared Objects (sometimes called “Flash cookies”), in connection with our Services. These technologies are similar to cookies in that they are stored on your device and can be used to maintain information about your activities and preferences.
However, these other local storage technologies may use parts of your device other than your browser, which means you may not be able to control their use using the browser tools and settings you use to control browser cookies. For more information about managing Flash cookies, please visit the Adobe Flash Player website. Your browser's privacy controls may enable you to manage other types of local storage.
- to help authenticate you when you use our Services;
- to remember your preferences and registration information;
- to enable a shopping cart;
- to present and help measure and research the effectiveness of our Service, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon); and
- to customize the content and advertisements provided to you through our Services and on other websites and services you visit.
- Web Beacons
Web beacons are small pieces of code placed on Web pages, videos, and in emails that can communicate information about your browser and device to a server. Beacons can be used, among other things, to count the users who visit a Web page or read an email, or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a user viewing a Web page or email.